Last month we shared the importance of utilizing your website’s analytics. The measurement of traffic, bounce rates, mobile v desktop visitors, and duration of visits are just a few of the metrics that are tracked by analytical software. Understanding how, when, and why visitors are coming to your website can help shape your marketing strategy, site improvements, and more. So how exactly do you get this analytical information about your website? One of the easiest ways is to enroll in Google Analytics. This free app gives you a comprehensive analysis of your website traffic at any time! Ready to get started? Here’s how to sign up for Google Analytics according to their website:
- Get Organized: First, you’ll need a Google Account. If you have a Google email, you already have a Google Account. If you haven’t already, you may want to set up a free Google Business account and use these credentials for your business’ Google Analytics.
- Create a Property: Creating a property refers to setting up a code that will track traffic on your website. If you have more than one website you want to enroll, you would have a different property for each of them.
- Get a Tracking ID: After your property is created, follow the prompts to correctly identify your site. This includes industry type, time zone, data sharing settings, etc. After it’s complete, your property will be assigned a tracking ID for identification purposes.
- Add Your Tracking ID to Your Site: There are many ways to add the tracking ID to your site. A quick search for Google Analytics WordPress plugins results in numerous hits. Choose the one that best fits your needs.
- View Reporting: After your Tracking ID has been added to your site, you can begin collecting and reviewing data about how users engage with your site.
All Set Up. Now What?
Once your site is enrolled in Google Analytics and the app is tracking site traffic, reviewing the data will help you to identify any potential issues with your site (bounce rate), how visitors are finding your site (sources like Google, social media platforms, other websites), how they’re engaging with your site (which pages they click and for how long), and also which medium they use to view your site (mobile, desktop, etc.).
Hammersmith Support Can Help
If all of this sounds a bit overwhelming, or if this kind of work just isn’t in the time budget, Hammersmith Support has you covered! Our comprehensive maintenance packages include not only enrollment in Google Analytics but also Google Search Console too. In addition, our maintenance clients enjoy an easy-to-read report each month, along with a brief written summary from our team, including suggestions based on the analytics. Sound interesting? Visit our Calendly page and schedule a complimentary 30-minute consultation and let’s talk.