The list of available platforms to build a website on seems endless! While Hammersmith Support has a preferred platform (more on that later), we want to bring you some pros and cons of the available platforms so that you can make the right choice for your business – you can read our post about WordPress v Wix here. There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a platform, such as what kind of features you need on your site, how tech-savvy the person building and maintaining the site is, how quickly you expect to grow your business, and or how much help you’ll need in the design process. Knowing the answers to these questions can help guide the decision about which platform makes the most sense for your business.
- All-in-one platform – Widgets, apps, plugins, and even analytics are included with each site.
- Ease of use – Extremely easy to set up and edit a site.
- All-inclusive – Website, hosting and security are included with a monthly subscription.
- Chat and email support are available 24/7.
- Photograph-heavy templates may be challenging to fill for businesses without many images.
- Squarespace does not provide phone support.
- Limited SEO makes it less likely that users will find your site organically.
- Limited flexibility makes personalizing your site more difficult.
- You cannot move your site to another hosting service.
Squarespace is a great option for those who are less tech-savvy and yet want to dive into creating their business website. While more expensive than some available options, the all-in-one platform keeps things simple for users.
- Portable content – If you change hosting providers, you can move your site and its contents easily.
- Open-source – Resources are available to create a custom site using CSS code.
- Built-in SEO – As Google changes its requirements, the built-in SEO settings in WordPress are adapted and updated by developers and users. If you’re looking to delve into your SEO and customize it, WordPress has options.
- Scalable – No matter what size your business is now, a WordPress site can adapt and grow with your business.
- Custom Designs – Seemingly endless options for design and customization.
- E-commerce – WordPress makes it easy to integrate and set up a store using WooCommerce, Shopify or other platforms.
- Speed – Especially when maintained regularly, websites load faster, which improves Google Search rankings and user experience.
- Support – WordPress has a vast international community of users who are available to help and support others.
- Somewhat more expensive than other platforms – The framework is free, but you may need to purchase licenses for themes or plugins or pay for development if you’d like more customization.
- Requires users to be more tech-savvy – WordPress is easier to use if you have more technical know-how.
- Updates must be performed by the user – Regular maintenance is a must!
WordPress should be your platform of choice if you need power and flexibility, and are comfortable with technology. A WordPress site is robust and has lots of options. More importantly, it grows and moves as your business evolves. You own your site and are not limited by a proprietary platform.
WordPress Is Hammersmith Support’s Preferred Platform
The ability to use open code to build custom sites on WordPress, along with the large support community that WordPress has fostered, allows Hammersmith Support to build completely custom sites for our clients. Unsure of what you need for your site? We’re here to help! Book a free 30-minute consultation and let’s talk about what Hammersmith Support can do for you and your website.